Writing AIMS

Over the last few days of festive overload, I’ve been looking forward to today. A new year, a new start, a new writing project. The trouble is I don’t know what I want that project to be. A new novel? Short stories? Something I haven’t tried before?

know-1082654_640

Last year I had no such doubts. The way ahead was clearly signposted. A quote from my blog January 2015:

I’ve finished the first draft of my novel. The story is at an end. But I’ve also started rereading, the beginning of that exciting period of rereading, redrafting, cutting, expanding. It’s the beginning of the novel’s journey out into the world. At the moment, I’ve got no idea how that will happen. But in some way or another, it will. I’m standing on the cusp – an end and a beginning. Scary but stimulating.

This year the hard work of rewriting and editing is done. The Broken Road is published and launched. I should be promoting it, but that’s another story.

Whatever I choose will be something new. That takes energy, optimism, ideas – things in short supply at the moment. Do I even want to carry on writing? A novel is so demanding. Every new short story demands the germ of a really interesting idea. Help! I don’t know!

Categorised in: , ,

1. Joanne Phillips says:

I nearly choked on my tea then! Give up writing? Are you insane? Okay, emergency meeting needed – crisis talks necessary 🙂 Do you have a list of ideas buzzing around or are you feeling a little worn out? Maybe this is the best time to focus on promotion then x

2. Debbie Young says:

How about writing something lighthearted and flippant, Lindsay? Your books are always very serious (though I confess I haven’t read your most recent one yet) and must be emotionally draining to write, so why not make 2016 your Year of Living Lightheartedly? You deserve a fun year! 😉

Oh, Jo, you made me smile. Yes, I agree with crisis talks. Soon!

You’re probably right, Debbie, but light and flippant aren’t what come into my head (although a fun year sounds good). You have to write what you feel passionate about, don’t you? I don’t think The Broken Road is quite as serious as PP’s Son, but it’s definitely leaning that way. People keep telling me I should write thrillers, but they’re not a laugh a minute. Perhaps I’ll just have another sleep!

5. Sophie says:

I do find the fallow period, where you’re waiting for ideas to germinate, very trying. If only there was some sort of protocol as to what you’re supposed to do with yourself during this time.

Thanks for commenting, Sophie. I agree – it’s a difficult time, and this time seems worse for me because I spent so long on the novel I’ve just published. I know we need fallow times, but I like your idea of a protocol, so as to not feel so cut adrift.

7. Sue Ablett says:

Can imagine how you feel after the end of The Broken Road, Lindsay. A bit like I did after London Marathon last year. But Evesham Festival of Words to focus on this year – maybe inspiring and enthusing others could be something to focus on while the big ideas are germinating.

8. I suspect after the year you had, and all that hard work, what you need is a break. Chill, Lindsay, and act laid back, then, they say, you’ll become it (with practise!)

Glass of something giggly? Go for it! x

9. linda sellers says:

Sounds like a bit of chilling, and something chilled could be prescribed!

Think the comparison with the London Marathon is a good one, Sue – a big project that is all-consuming and which leaves you deflated and rudderless when it’s over. However, not sure Evesham Festival of Words – no matter how exciting – would fill the gap left by writing.

Thanks, Polly. Your support means so much.

Think I do need some chilling, Linda, but possibly had too much of the chilled over Christmas anyway!