Happy Birthday Unravelling!

Today is Unravelling’s third birthday – cue trumpets, choirs, balloons, champagne and … cake! Birthdays mean cake!

Happy Birthday Unravelling!

So, it’s three years since the launch of ‘Unravelling’, a wonderful afternoon which nearly 100 lovely people came to. It was the culmination of a dream I’d had since I was a child that one day I would be a writer and have a book published.

I’d served a long apprenticeship writing four novels in ten years when my children were young. I find that almost impossible to believe now, and I wonder if I would have the drive, creativity and sheer determination to pursue what seemed for so long a hopeless goal, especially back then, when there weren’t all the writing courses and groups which have sprouted since. Yes, I had some positive feedback especially for the fourth novel with one agent very interested and Virago writing ‘We’re sorry to be saying no to this’. Also, some minor successes with short stories, but overall, it seemed a pipe dream.

It wasn’t till I was able to take the plunge and leave my full-time job to do an MA in creative writing at Bath Spa that any real success came my way. So, sending my baby ‘Unravelling’ out into the big wide world meant a huge amount to me. I remember feeling quite emotional at the launch despite my joy at seeing people buy it and go away with it!

I could not have imagined then that it would win several awards, that people would get in touch to say how much they’d enjoyed it, that it would lead to so many opportunities. Nor could I have imagined on that day three years ago that I would go on to have more stories published and that my next novel ‘The Piano Player’s Son’ would be accepted by Cinnamon Press and take its place next to ‘Unravelling’.

So, today is not only a celebration of the launch of ‘Unravelling’, but also the day I finally felt able to call/think of myself as a writer! And before the speechifying goes on too long, I think I said there would be CAKE. And cake there shall be!

If the cake looks a bit stretched, it’s because I didn’t realise there would be so many of you here to help me celebrate!

Categorised in: , , , ,

Fab cake … but there won’t be enough! Oh well, never mind, I’ll have a small slice please so there’s some left for everyone else πŸ™‚

Happy Birthday ‘Unravelling’ πŸ™‚ xx

I’m just cutting you a slice now, Polly!

3. Maureen Hall says:

What a lovely post! Happy Birthday, ‘Unravelling’. And Happy ‘Coming of Age and being a Proper Writer’ Day, Lindsay. Looking forward to celebrating the launch of ‘The Piano Player’s Son’ as well …

Thanks, Mo. Lots of things to celebrate!

5. Eileen Mitchell says:

Congratulations Lindsay!
    I’m so pleased to have been there when your ‘baby’ emerged into the world! It was a great time! I so enjoyed the course I did with you, and hope to be able to do more one day.
    Best, Eileen x

How lovely to hear from you, Eileen! Thanks for commenting. For me, the launch was such a wonderful occasion, so I’m glad that you remember it positively as well. Would be great if you could make the next one on 25th Oct as well. Put it in your diary!

Glad, also, that you enjoyed the course. I love teaching creative writing – in fact, I’ve dedicated ‘A Writer’s Alphabet’ to my writing students! If you can’t make a full course (although they are only ten weeks now, not thirty) you could try the writing workshop in June.

7. Julian says:

How often have you heard writers interviewed, describing their long road to success? I must admit on a hardening of the heart to such “struggling for recognition” sagas but in your case, Lindsay, I’ve shared a little of the journey with you and it has, without doubt, warmed me. I feel privileged to be able to call you a friend and to thank you for all you’ve taught me about your craft. The glass is raised high!

Happy Birthday to Unravelling. Just a small slice for me! Enjoy your success and here’s to many more in the future!

9. Caroline says:

Is it really three years? It is an emotional experience seeing people walk away with your book isn’t it.

Thanks, Christine. It would be nice to think there are more successes to come! Fingers crossed.

Thank you, Julian. What a lovely comment! I’m glad you feel as if you’ve learnt from me about the craft of writing. I’ve certainly learnt a lot from teaching it and from all the talented students I’ve met.

It certainly is, Caroline. The thing that has belonged to you, been part of you, that you’ve lavished care on for so long now has to make its own way. It does share something with the experience of waving your children off into the world, whether to school or further afield. But it’s wonderful too. I hope you have a fantastic launch. I’ve got my copy of ‘Convoy’ and am so looking forward to reading it!

13. Congratulations and Happy Birthday to Unravelling! πŸ™‚

Xx

Thanks, Vikki. I felt I had to mark the occasion.