Can you judge a book by its cover?

Can you? Well, we all do!

Even in this age of ebooks, covers play a significant part in the decision to buy a novel. They are often the first interaction a reader has with a book, and they need to attract, intrigue and capture some of the essence of what’s inside.

So, this is an exciting, but scary moment for me. When I published ‘Unravelling’ I didn’t reveal the cover until the actual launch, but here I am with six months until publication and I can’t wait any longer to show it off. If the novel is my baby, it’s a bit like telling the world as soon as I know if it’s a boy or a girl!

Here goes:

I hope you like it! If you do, please let me know. If you don’t – you can always pretend!

Categorised in: , , , ,

I like it! There is a sense of the past and an air of mystery in it. I bet you are beside yourself with excitement about the launch!

2. Maureen Hall says:

Well I like it. Very much. Looking forward to publication date, as I really want to read this.
    Mo.

Phew! That’s a relief – one vote of approval! Thanks, Christine. Yes, I don’t want to wish time away, but I can’t wait for it to come out. Just proofing at the moment.

Thanks, Mo – so glad you like it. I can’t wait for publication either!

5. I love it, Lindsay 🙂 Very atmospheric, I’d definitely pick this up in a bookshop x

Wonderful, Jo. So pleased you like it. Sharing it with the world is a bit scary!

Woo-hoo, get you, Bel Mooney quote ‘n all! I like it a lot 🙂

Thanks, Polly. As I said, it’s scary, so it’s lovely to have a positive response.

9. Donna Whitehouse says:

I love it, especially, how your name is built into the piano! One question though, if you’re still 6 months away from the launch date, what is happening now? As in what is stopping you from publishing it next week, or next month? One of those things that intrigue me – what happens after the author finishes the book.

Glad you like it, Donna. I wasn’t sure about the name on the piano at first, but it’s growing on me all the time.
    The publication date is out of my control. It has to fit in with the publisher’s schedule and the other books they’re publishing. We’re doing proofreading at the moment.

11. Lynne Nugent says:

Great stuff. I think it’s really enigmatic and gives a sense of history without being old fashioned. How exciting!

Lovely comments, Lynne. I’m really pleased you like it!

13. Becky gethin says:

Think its very intriguing …. Like a black and white film it suggests nuance and shadows. Love b x

Nuance and shadows – love that, Becky. Thanks!

15. Vikki says:

Like it! 🙂

xx

Thanks, Vikki. Reaction so far seems to be positive – but then I did ask people to pretend if they didn’t like it!

It creates a mood which is v important – tension conflicting with elegance and that in turn raises questions.

Thanks, Derek. ‘Tension conflicting with elegance’ sounds good!

19. Caroline says:

I think it’s a wonderful cover Lindsay and it captures the atmosphere of the book well. I can’t wait to read the rest of the book now.

20. Linda says:

looks intriguing! I’m sure that I shall enjoy the contents as much as I did Unravelling.

What an exciting (and frustrating?) time for you!

That’s lovely to hear, Caroline! Hope the book lives up to its cover!

Thanks, Linda. I’m so pleased that you like it! Several people have used the word intriguing or sense of mystery, so that’s good.
    On the exciting/frustrating front, it’s probably more exciting. My aim is to enjoy the time leading up to publication and entertain myself (and hope others) with blog posts about the process and the novel.