Day One Blogging Challenge

September 1st and the first day of my blogging challenge. As I wrote in my previous post, I’ve set myself the challenge of writing a post every day in September (excluding four Sundays) using the letters of the alphabet as a stimulus. I intend the posts to be associated with aspects of writing and reading – although sometimes that connection might be loose.

So, here goes!

Day one and the letter is A and the topic is ANXIETY

I’ve chosen to write about anxiety because it feels to me as if it’s the accompanying music to a writer’s world.

• Have I got any ideas? What can I write about? Have I got anything interesting, worthwhile, new to say?
  • I’m frightened of the blank white page.
  • I’ve got an idea, but can I make it work? The idea is strong and secure while it’s in my head, but it disintegrates when I try to put it into words.
  • This writing is rubbish. Why would anyone want to read it?
  • Why am I wasting time sitting in front of a computer writing stuff that no one but me cares about when I could be seeing friends, walking by the river, gardening, reading, lying in a darkened room …
  • I’ve sent my story off to a competition, but I doubt it will get anywhere.
  • Oh, it’s made the shortlist, but it can’t possibly win.
  • I’ve finished the tenth draft of my novel, but will anyone want to publish it?
  • Shall I self-publish? How will I sell it if I do?

On and on and on … the voices chatter, question, churn the stomach. To write or not to write – when it involves such anxiety – that is the question!

Categorised in: , ,

Great post – I particularly identified (am I allowed to use an adverb?) with the one about the idea being strong and secure in your head that then disintegrates when you try to put it down? Why is that? It happens to me all the time. Does that mean I’m better at thinking than writing? If so, someone needs to invent an app that downloads thoughts onto paper. Or perhaps not. Anyway, looking forward to Monday’s post. And can’t wait for X and Z.

Thanks, Christine. Yes, the strong idea versus weak delivery is a major problem. I suppose it’s the difficulty of trying to convert a vision into a reality – and reality often disappoints!

3. I laughed out loud and thought why oh why do I put myself through it? Sometimes such great ideas dont translate so well into squiggles on paper!

Thanks, cheers Becky

4. Maureen Hall says:

Anxiety and I are old friends, and it takes a great deal of ingenuity on my part to keep ahead of it. Apathy as well … and ambition (lack of). Is there really any point in producing something no-one will want to read anyway … ? (Whoops! It’s caught up again… )

Joking aside, it’s nice to know that other (I suspect all) writers feel the same emotions. It encourages those of us who plod along in the wings to know that even successful authors have bad moments. Thanks, Lindsay!

I Hope you laughed out loud in recognition of shared pain, Becky?! suppose we’ve driven to write, otherwise why on earth would we?!

Anxiety, apathy, ambition (lack of) – they sum it up, Mo! It’s not what you would choose to do.

7. polly says:

Ah … but when it’s upon you, you can’t not …

I agree, Polly, but sometimes I wish I had a less painful compulsion!

9. Helen says:

No wonder Anxiety (note the capital A) was on your mind for the start of this blogging challenge – never mind, only 25 more to go!

I enjoyed doing the River of Stones back in January, so this seemed like a good idea! Perhaps I should have been more Anxious, Helen, as with everything else that’s happening happening in September, it looks as if X will be Xhaustion!