Blogging Challenge

As I wrote in my last post, I’ve been at odds with my writing since I came back from holiday (thanks to those of you who commiserated with my predicament). I’m gradually getting back the motivation and focus – I’ve written a short story, done a book review for The Woman Writer, and have been busy organising flash stories for the anthology that’s going to be produced as a result of the Worcestershire Literary Festival flash fiction competition. But haven’t managed to get going again properly on my novel.

So to kick-start my creativity, I’ve decided to take on a blogging challenge during September. I’m going to pinch an idea I saw on the internet – blogging from A-Z. I was too late to do that one as it was in April (you can read more about it here), but I’m going to have a go next month.

The idea is to write a blog post every day using a different letter of the alphabet to generate the theme, so on Saturday 1st September the post will stem from the letter A, continuing through the alphabet until I reach the end of September with the letter Z – or exhausted myself, whichever comes first! The flaw is, obviously, that there are 30 days in September, but only 26 letters in the alphabet, so there will be no posts for four of the Sundays. The only Sunday post will be the final one on 30th September – and somebody better help me with an idea for Z by then!

I’m also going to try to relate the posts – possibly loosely – to the idea of writing/reading.

So, that’s the plan. I hope you’ll come back and leave me lots of lovely comments to encourage me. And if you’ve got any ideas for topics … what are you waiting for? Send them over! See you in September.

1. Well, the F won’t be difficult! πŸ™‚

Good luck πŸ™‚

Polly, I don’t know WHAT you mean!

3. Mo Hall says:

Z could be ‘zeal’: but I’m stumped on ‘X’ (and no cheating by using an ‘e’ in front)!

X?! Now you’ve frightened me, Mo. I was worried about Z, but X! And what about other awkward letters to deal with? Still that’s the challenge …

5. Robin Heaney says:

As the nonpareil of pedanticism, I should point out that it would make more sense to say that there are 30 days in September but only 26 letters in the alphabet!

Z – Zoroaster or Zarathrustra, who, according to Nietzsche and Strauss, Also Sprach. C-G-C dah-daaah, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.

X – Xanthippe. Socrates’ wife or any nagging, peevish, irritable woman.
    Xiphoid. Sword shaped, though I have not idea what flowers grow in September.
    Xenophobia.

I’m grateful for the pedantry, Robin! You are right and I’ve changed the phrases round.

Thanks, also, for the X and Z ideas. Not sure if I can do anything with them, but I’ll be probably grab at anything by the end of September!

7. ChelleY says:

‘B’ could be for bats! So much negativity about the little critters in writing πŸ™ and ‘N’ could be neighbours – teehee.
    Have fun! I’m looking forward to reading your efforts πŸ™‚

I suppose the connection with vampires and horror doesn’t help their reputation, Michelle. As for neighbours – they could be used to represent humanity with some very good and some very bad!